Frontpage   Releases   Forum   Documents   Downloads   Links   Join Us!   Disclaimer   Contact Us

Author Topic: Unsufficient file permissions in your Il-2 Game folder (BITDEFENDER FIX~SOLVED!)  (Read 7250 times)

Offline robday

When I start up UP3RC the executable switcher comes up and I get the message that is the title of this subject. It then tells me that I have probably installed into program files and am using Vista or Windows 7. I have actually copied a clean install of 4.10.1 into a folder outside program files and installed  UP3 over that and then applied the Up3 patch., and I am running XP. (This is the same method that I used for UP2.01 and I had no problems with that.) What am I doing wrong?

Offline Boomer

• Global Moderator
  • IL2 Addict
Re: Unsufficient file permissions in your Il-2 Game folder
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 03:42:30 PM »
Not sure myself,this might help though

http://www.winxptutor.com/ownership.htm

Offline robday

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 04:01:50 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try these steps later tonight, (gotta be at work in 30 minutes), if it works  I'll let you know, if not I'll be back!

Offline Boomer

• Global Moderator
  • IL2 Addict
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 05:24:41 PM »
Sure you bet,let us know one way or the other
may help others come across same problem :)

There will be others along sometime,who know more about permissions ete
I am sure someone will be able to help if that doesn't  :thumb:

:cheers:

Offline robday

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 04:03:41 AM »
Ok, tried the steps outlined in the link that you provided, at least I don't get that message anymore! Selector goes directly to "Start IL-2", I clicked on that  and waited and waited and then waited somemore but after 10 minutes no sign of the game starting. I'll try again in the morning, at the moment I'm too  much in need of sleep to continue with this.  :indifferent0020: Thanks for the advice, if all else fails there's always 2.01 to play with.

Offline robday

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 01:26:06 PM »
Just tried again with the same result, so I thought I'd try changing some settings in the selector. When I clicked on the desktop icon for the second time since booting up my computer I got that damn message again, "Unsufficient file access permissions in your IL-2 game folder".Then the selector pops up and offers me the chance to "Start IL-2 Now", click on that and then I got "IL-2fb.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close". If I  restart the  computer the cycle starts over.
Is there a minimum spec. needed to run UP3? My machine is not the greatest in the world but it runs stock IL-2 4.10.1 and UP2.01  with fairly high in game settings with no troubles!
BTW "Unsufficient" is what the message says, I'm not gonna quibble over spelling errors, I just wanna try UP3 :cheers:

Offline SAS~Storebror

• Consultants
  • Air Brakes don't.
    • Friendly Fire isn't.
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 01:45:46 PM »
BTW "Unsufficient" is what the message says
Yep, my typo, I'm sorry ;-)

The file access error message tells straight forward what's the status of your current installation.
For some reason (and really we can't tell you the reason exactly, you're the one who is sitting in front of your machine, not us) you don't have sufficient file access rights in your IL-2 installation folder. Whatever you might have done, something's simply screwed up there.
Now that you mentioned that you're starting with a copy of a clean 4.10.1 install, it may very well be that this plain installation doesn't grant sufficient access permissions to you already (happens e.g. when copying from one machine to another by using e.g. an NTFS formatted USB HDD).

The only suitable advice would be to start off with creating an IL-2 folder yourself manually, e.g. C:\IL2, and starting with a fresh installation (no copy, no extract of some IL-2 archive from whatever sources) into that folder.

Best regards - Mike
'Armor' is a fantasy invented by your C.O. to make you feel better.

Offline robday

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 02:41:19 PM »
Thanks for the reply Mike. I'll try that later when I'm home from work, (real life is a pain in the :bum:).
Cheers,  Rob

Offline robday

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 04:02:50 AM »
OK, I created the folder, installed  from the DVD, patched to 4.08, then 4.09 followed by 4.09 skin pack, 4.10 and 4.10.1. I then applied  UP 3RC and UP3RC2 and I now get the kan.sas message! :suicide: I will search the forum for info on this and see if i can sort it out, but any advice that anybody can offer will be gratefully be received. Getting UP2.01 up and running was a piece of p**s compared to this, maybe I should hang on for the final release of UP3!
 :cheers: Rob

Offline SAS~Storebror

• Consultants
  • Air Brakes don't.
    • Friendly Fire isn't.
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 07:13:26 PM »
Maybe it's a good idea to clarify some things.
The message you get is which one now? The file access thing? Or the "...encountered a problem" thing?
Does this happen right when you try to start IL-2 for the first time? Or does it happen at second try, after the first one didn't show any results?
Which settings did you choose?
You mentioned a desktop icon. Sure that it's a link and not another copy of the selector? Try starting the il2fb.exe right in the IL-2 game folder please.

Best regards - Mike

Offline Snacko

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 03:06:24 AM »
I have a dual boot Windows 7 64bit setup, and I boot to my X: drive to play games.  I just installed IL2 from CD to "X:\My Programs" and patched with the MegaPatch to 4.10.1.  I then installed UP 3.0 RC.  And RC2, and today RC3...

When I run it without any JSGME mods enabled it works fine.  If I enable the #UP#_Enable_UP3.0 mod and select to run UltraPack it does several crazy things.  At first it gives me the message that it cannot get access to write to the game folder.  Then the game crashes.  I assumed it was my Antivirus or Firewall.  So, I diable both, and now I get a message that "il2fb.exe has been terminated because it has been deemed harmful by Active Virus Control".  So, currently, I have a Ticket in with BitDefender about why when I turn OFF AntiVirus, it is still giving me this message???

But this is still a problem and I plan to post back if I get an resolution..

Offline Bao

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 10:03:31 PM »
Hi guys,

This happened to me yesterday,when I updated my install with RC3.When I enable UP3 thru JSGME,I got this nasty window when trying to start il2fb.exe.When I try to bypass it and click on activator to start the game,it crashes.

No idea what to do.I use Bitdefender software as my antivirus/firewall.I also run as admin in W7 32bit.I put il2fb.exe as OK for firewall not to take it as a threat.Other games run just fine (ArmA,Rise of Flight...)
Il2 is installed on separate partition,so it is not this "you installed it in program files" problem.I also got it completly reinstalled yesterday,but no help.When I do not activate UP3 in JSGME,game runs fine  :-\

Any help will do.Thanks in advance.

Offline SAS~Storebror

• Consultants
  • Air Brakes don't.
    • Friendly Fire isn't.
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 02:10:51 PM »
Every time I hear about this problem, "Bitdefender" is mentioned somewhere in the thread.
Sorry guys but for the moment I'd like to say that Bitdefender is doing something strange here.
If possible, please take out the whole il-2 installation folder from Bitdefender's supervision.
If this still doesn't help, try disabling Bitdefender temporarily.

Best regards - Mike

Offline StG77_HaDeS

• Administrator
  • IL2 Addict
    • IL2 Ultr@Pack
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 02:23:39 PM »
Configure Bit-Defender to not chak any il2fb.exe or kan.sas files or even better EXCLUDE the Whole IL2 folder from its scans.

Offline Snacko

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 03:04:57 PM »
I just posted this at the BitDefender forums:

Ok, I have a flight simulator called IL2 Sturmovik 1946. It is modded and installed in 'X:\My Programs'. UAC is OFF. But I am having problems getting it to run. Sometimes the app cannot write to the game folder. But every time, BitDefender AV terminates the app!!

So, I turn BitDefender AV and Firewall OFF, and it still sees me run the app and terminates it!! WHY is BitDefender Antivirus still running AFTER I turn it OFF??

See the attached picture. AV is OFF, and I even have the entire folder Excluded, as well as the il2fb.exe in the allowed Firewall programs list and Game Manager list. What the heII is going on here?? 3 Other guys that I fly with who also use BitDefender have this same problem!!

Offline Snacko

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 04:59:11 PM »
BITDEFENDER FIX:   :party0046:

I am able to now run UP 3.0 RC3 with BitDefender Internet Security 2011 using these settings:

• Add your 'game folder' to the Antivirus Exclusions tab.
  • Add il2fb.exe in your games root folder to the Advanced Settings Exclusions.  I also added the '\jsgmemods\#UP#_Enable_UP3.0\il2fb.exe' to the exclusions list since it is swapped in and out.  I don't know if this is required, but it couldn't hurt.

Offline SAS~Storebror

• Consultants
  • Air Brakes don't.
    • Friendly Fire isn't.
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 05:10:33 PM »
Snacko you saved my day, week, month... let's see ;-)

Thanks a million for this!

Best regards - Mike

Offline Snacko

No problem, thank you M8!!

It's really strange.. BD asks me to Allow or Block when I would run it, and I always clicked Allow, but that didn't matter.  And BD also has this 'Game' feature to reduce memory when you are playing games, and I also had added it to that list, but that also didn't matter.  And I also added it to my Firewall manually and that also didn't matter..

Stupid Security programs!!   :fighting0036:

Offline Boomer

• Global Moderator
  • IL2 Addict
    I said this awhile ago,that the Anti-virus needed to be set up
    Although it is posted over at SAS in the same thread as this one

I run UP 3 on an external drive NP
I've never had that error

Maybe try setting your anti-virus up,so it will accept the il2.exe

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,16959.0/topicseen.html

Classic Anti-virus false positive... epic fail   :laugh:

BITDEFENDER FIX:   :party0046:

I am able to now run UP 3.0 RC3 with BitDefender Internet Security 2011 using these settings:

• Add your 'game folder' to the Antivirus Exclusions tab.
[\quote][/list]

Offline Snacko

I said this awhile ago,that the Anti-virus needed to be set up
    Although it is posted over at SAS in the same thread as this one
I run UP 3 on an external drive NP
I've never had that error
Maybe try setting your anti-virus up,so it will accept the il2.exe

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,16959.0/topicseen.html
Classic Anti-virus false positive... epic fail   :laugh:

Yes, I saw your post over there Boomer, and I did add the game folder to the Exclusions tab in BitDefender.  So, I thought I had done what you had posted.  I would think that would be enough, but it was not, it still didn't work.  Then, somebody on the BitDefender forums told me about that Advanced Settings button with 'another' Exclusions tab.  That's kind of confusing if you ask me...[/list]